Reports update CB Terrion Arnold’s status with Seahawks
Reports from NFL insiders on Tuesday detailed where things stand with Terrion Arnold, even casting doubt that he will end up with the Seahawks.
Terrion Arnold of the Detroit Lions defends DJ Moore of the Chicago Bears on Nov. 28, 2024. (Mike Mulholland/Getty Images)
(Mike Mulholland/Getty Images)
It’s been five days since reports surfaced that the Seattle Seahawks and cornerback Terrion Arnold, who is facing eight felony charges related to a February robbery and kidnapping in Florida, were working on a contract.
On Tuesday, an update was provided on the situation via multiple reports from NFL insiders.
Seattle Seahawks top ESPN’s Future Power Rankings
Ian Rapoport, an NFL insider for ESPN and the NFL Network, reported that Arnold will be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list if he signs a contract. While on the exempt list, players can attend meetings with their team but are not allowed to practice or play in games.
The Seahawks still plan to sign Arnold but “are working through the timing and it may take a while,” per Rapoport and fellow NFL Network insider Mike Garofolo.
A likely reason the Seahawks “are working through the timing” is that players on the exempt list receive their pay and count against the salary cap. Brady Henderson, who covers the Seahawks for ESPN, said last week that he expects a deal with Arnold to be for one year at the minimum salary.
That being said, there is now some doubt being cast on the Seahawks bringing Arnold in.
A Pro Football Talk article by Michael David Smith states that it “would be surprising” if the new ownership group led by Neeru and Vinod Khosla, which is expected to be approved by the NFL next week, will be “OK with inheriting a player they’re going to have to pay while he is not allowed to play and faces eight felony charges that carry a potential sentence of life in prison.” Smith added that “it may take so long for Arnold to get signed and cleared to play for the Seahawks that it never happens at all.”
The 23-year-old Arnold was released by the Detroit Lions on June 29. He is alleged to have orchestrated the abduction and beating of three men, with prosecutors believing he wrongly suspected the three victims stole luxury goods and $100,000 in cash from him.
The 6-foot, 195-pound cornerback made one interception and 18 pass breakups in 24 games with the Lions over his two NFL seasons. He was sidelined for half of last season with a shoulder injury.
This post includes information from The Associated Press.
Seattle Seahawks news and more
• Roster Moves: Seahawks sign ex-Oregon State RB, 2 others
• Former substitute teacher making noise with Seahawks
• How Spoon’s deal impacts Seattle Seahawks’ salary cap space






Comments
0 Comments