Bumpus: Where Seahawks have a clear advantage over the Rams
Sep 9, 2023, 9:12 AM
(Harry How/Getty Images)
This Sunday’s matchup between the Seattle Seahawks and Los Angeles Rams isn’t just a battle between divisional foes, but it’s a game that features two of the youngest rosters in the NFL.
“You look at this (Rams) secondary, and I watch a lot of football, Stacy, and I didn’t know a lot of these guys,” Bumpus told his co-host Stacy Rost. “… (Cornerback) Michael Hoecht … 34 games, 43 tackles, no interceptions. (Cornerback) Derion Kendrick, 15 games, 43 tackles, no interceptions. (Safety) Jordan Fuller, 31 games, 185 tackles, four interceptions. (Safety) Russ Yeast 15 games, zero interceptions. These guys don’t know how to take the football out the air, or at least they haven’t had the opportunity to … The max experience you have in that secondary are two seasons worth of snaps in games.”
So who on the Seahawks is Bumpus looking at to have a big game on Sunday? He thinks everything is set up for DK Metcalf to shine.
“I’m looking at it and I go DK, go to work, right? You no longer have to prepare for the mouth of Jalen Ramsey and all that trash he’s going to talk (when facing the Rams),” Bumpus said. “You go out there and just focus on just killing these young cats. And I hope you intimidate the heck out of them with your dark visor and your big 14.”
“I look at the secondary and I go yeah, both teams are young, but the most experienced part of this team right now for the Seahawks is the receiving corps with DK and (Tyler) Lockett and sprinkle in a rookie in there. I’m looking at the secondary and I (think) you’ve got to eat,” Bumpus later added.
Rost added an important note when it comes to one of the Rams’ cornerbacks.
“I was looking at Pro Football Focus and Kendrick that you mentioned who is maybe a starter, maybe not – they’re kind of bouncing back and forth – (he was the) second-lowest graded corner (in the NFL) last year,” she said.
More on the Seattle Seahawks
• Seahawks HC Pete Carroll discusses Rams matchup, Wagner’s return
• Witherspoon questionable vs Rams, Seahawks rule out 2
• What Julian Love said about Seahawks’ secondary before Week 1
• Mark Sanchez: ‘So much meat on the bone’ for Seahawks in 2023
• K.J. Wright’s Seattle Seahawks predictions for 2023 season
• Huard: The 2 surprises from Seattle Seahawks’ Week 1 depth chart
• GM Schneider: Seahawks’ most improved position is DBs
• NFL Network’s Wyche: Chris Jones to Seahawks ‘would make a lot of sense’
• In Seahawks return, Bobby Wagner still feels at top of his game
• Rost on Seahawks: Making the case for each team to win NFC West
• Huard: Why is Seattle Seahawks’ ‘home run’ Geno deal now a ‘grand slam?’