ADVERTISEMENT

SEATTLE SPORTS PIT

FIFA lifts Balogun’s suspension, freeing US star to play in Seattle

U.S. star Folarin Balogun is now eligible to play in Monday's World Cup round-of-16 match in Seattle.

Folarin Balogun celebrates goal United States Bosnia 2026...

U.S. star Folarin Balogun celebrates after scoring in a round-of-32 World Cup match against Bosnia and Herzegovina on June 1. (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

(Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

SEATTLE (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump intervened on behalf of American star forward Folarin Balogun, whose red-card suspension was lifted in a decision that allows him to play in Monday night’s World Cup round-of-16 match against Belgium in Seattle.

The get-in price for US World Cup knockout match in Seattle

Balogun, the American leader with three goals in the tournament, received a red card for stepping awkwardly on the right ankle of Tarik Muharemović of Bosnia-Herzegovina in a 2-0 round-of-32 win on Wednesday, triggering an automatic one-game suspension.

FIFA announced Sunday that the suspension had been lifted for the round-of-16 match, an extraordinary move that triggered praise from Trump and outrage from Belgium’s team. It appeared to be the first time since 1962 that a red card during a World Cup did not result in a suspension.

Trump called FIFA president Gianni Infantino after the game asking FIFA review the red card, according to a person familiar with the call who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

“Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right, and reversing a great injustice!” Trump said in a statement on social media.

The Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) said it was “astonished,” and Belgium coach Rudi Garcia mocked FIFA’s action.

“I didn’t know that in the offices of FIFA the fifth of July was the first of April in Europe,” Garcia said through a translator in an April Fools’ Day comparison. “The Belgian federation does not defend itself, it does not protect the national team. She defends football in general, she defends her integrity, her ethics. I think it’s the first time in the history of the World Cup that there is this kind of decision.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia wouldn’t respond when asked about a possible appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport or whether he thought Trump impacted FIFA’s action.

“In order to safeguard the legitimate rights of all participating teams and to protect the fundamental principles of fair play in our sport, both at this FIFA World Cup and at future editions of the tournament, the RBFA is investigating all potential options,” the Belgian federation said in a statement.

World Cup bracket

Sports world spotlight shows Seattle is ready for NBA expansion

Comments

0 Comments