Seahawks announce 2022 coaching staff, including several changes
Feb 15, 2022, 2:27 PM | Updated: 2:32 pm
(Tim Warner/Getty Images)
The Seattle Seahawks revealed their 2022 coaches on Tuesday afternoon, and while several changes had already been reported, the list included even more maneuvers for Pete Carroll’s staff.
Roast: Three lessons Seahawks can learn from Rams’ SB run
Chief among the known moves made official are Clint Hurtt’s promotion from defensive line coach to defensive coordinator, replacing Ken Norton Jr., who was let go shortly after Seattle’s 7-10 season ended in January.
Sean Desai, who was Chicago Bears defensive coordinator, has officially been hired as associate head coach – defense, and Andy Dickerson is the new offensive line coach, moving up after one year as run game coordinator to replace Mike Solari, who was let go last week. Karl Scott, who was Minnesota’s defensive backs coach in 2021, is the new defensive passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach.
Those moves are the just a few of several changes, though, most of which had not been reported before Tuesday. Those addition moves are:
• Dave Canales is the new quarterbacks coach, replacing Austin Davis, who left the team to become Auburn’s offensive coordinator (a job he has since left). Canales was passing game coordinator each of the last two seasons for Seattle and has previously been QB coach for the Seahawks.
• Sanjay Lal has returned to Seattle after a year on the Jacksonville Jaguars staff to be the Seahawks’ receivers coach and offensive passing game coordinator.
• Chad Morton remains the running backs coach, but he also adds the title of offensive running game coordinator, which was Dickerson’s role in 2021.
• Aaron Curry is assistant defensive line/defensive ends coach.
• Brad Idzik moves from a quality control coach on offense to assistant receivers coach.
• Kerry Joseph moves from assistant receivers coach to assistant quarterbacks coach.
• DeShawn Shead is now assistant defensive backs coach.
• Damione Lewis is assistant defensive line/defensive tackles coach.
• Will Tukuafu is a quality control coach on defense.
• Nate Carroll moves from wide receivers coach to senior offensive assistant.
Seattle’s announcement also included Pete Carroll’s first comments about many of the coaching changes. You can find that all at this link.
Here is the full 2022 Seahawks coaching staff:
• Pete Carroll, Executive VP, Head Coach
• Clint Hurtt, Defensive Coordinator
• Larry Izzo, Special Teams Coordinator
• Shane Waldron, Offensive Coordinator
• Dave Canales, Quarterbacks
• Nate Carroll, Senior Offensive Assistant
• Aaron Curry, Assistant DL/DE
• Sean Desai, Associate Head Coach-Defense
• Andy Dickerson, Offensive Line
• John Glenn, Linebackers
• Brad Idzik, Assistant WR
• Kerry Joseph, Assistant QB
• Keli’i Kekuewa, Assistant OL
• Sanjay Lal, Offensive Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers
• Damione Lewis, Assistant DL/DT
• Pat McPherson, Tight Ends
• Chad Morton, Run Game Coordinator, Running Backs
• Karl Scott, Defensive Passing Game Coordinator, Defensive Backs
• DeShawn Shead, Assistant DB
• Carl Smith, Associate Head Coach
• Tracy Smith, Assistant Special Teams
• Will Tukuafu, Quality Control-Defense
Clayton: Coaching maneuvers signal directions Seahawks are taking