Wyman: Are the Seahawks’ problems against the pass fixable?
The Seahawks are known for playing a lot of zone defense, and that’s something the Tampa Bay Buccaneers took advantage of in last Sunday’s 40-34 Seahawks overtime victory.
Seahawks need to make changes on defense, but what should they be?
Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans was targeted a whopping 16 times by quarterback Jameis Winston in Seattle, and they were able to connect 12 times in what turned out to be a 180-yard day for the 6-foot-5, 231-pound Evans against the Seahawks’ secondary.
What allowed Evans to get open so much? And are the Seahawks’ problems against the pass really as bad as they seemed? Former NFL linebacker and current Seahawks radio color commentator Dave Wyman addressed that in this week’s Football 101 video.
Wyman did so by taking a close look at these two receptions by Evans:
• Opening play of the game, Evans 15-yard pass from Winston (Watch the play at the start of this video)
• First-and-10 from the Tampa Bay 29 with 8:15 left in the fourth quarter, Evans 25-yard pass from Winston (Watch at the 2:15 mark in the same video)
The 7-2 Seahawks will be back in action on Monday on the road against the undefeated San Francisco 49ers. Wyman will be on the call with Steve Raible on the 710 ESPN Seattle and KIRO Radio 97.3 FM broadcast.
For more video breakdowns from this Seahawks season, click any of the links below.
• Heaps: What was so impressive about DK Metcalf’s 2 TDs
• Wyman: How LB Mychal Kendricks made right read on INT
• Heaps: How Lamar Jackson beat Seattle time and again on 3rd down
• Wyman: Why Ravens scored on Hawks with 4th down TD run
• Heaps: Why Tyler Lockett is so valuable when Russell Wilson scrambles
• Wyman: Don’t point the finger on Hawks giving up 2 straight big plays
• Wyman: Seahawks can get run game going with this technique
• Heaps: Why DK Metcalf and Will Dissly are feasting in Seattle’s offense
• Wyman: 4 plays the Hawks won by inches to defeat the Rams
• Heaps: What Hawks did vs Cards that could lead to more success
• Wyman: Linebacker K.J. Wright is ‘having his best year’
• Heaps: Why Will Dissly has emerged as valuable offensive weapon
• Wyman: Russell Wilson’s historic game and perfect pass to Metcalf
• Heaps: How Russell Wilson read Steelers’ defense so well in 28-26 win
• Heaps: How Tyler Lockett got so open for go-ahead TD
• Wyman: Hawks already trying new things with Jadeveon Clowney