Heaps: Why DK Metcalf and Will Dissly are feasting in Seahawks’ offense
Oct 8, 2019, 2:36 PM
Play-action is alive and well in the Seahawks’ offense. Not only that, but it’s turning out to be very advantageous for two up-and-coming options in the passing game for Russell Wilson.
Seahawks vs 49ers rivalry may be back on, and SF has swagger now
In this week’s edition of Jake Heaps’ Film Room, the co-host of 710 ESPN Seattle’s Tom, Jake and Stacy and former Seahawks QB looks at how the run-first offense continued to evolve in last Thursday’s 30-29 win over the Rams – especially when it came to passes off of play-action.
First, Heaps takes a look at the biggest play to date in Metcalf’s rookie season, a 40-yard reception in the end zone on a long heave from Wilson.
.@dkm14 hauls in a 4️⃣0️⃣ yard dime!#GoHawks x #LARvsSEA pic.twitter.com/eDdUktDeD9
— Seattle Seahawks (@Seahawks) October 4, 2019
In Heaps’ video breakdown, he shows how establishing the run behind No. 1 running back Chris Carson softened up the Rams’ defense, allowing Metcalf to use his speed to get open down the field.
Next up are a few plays where Dissly got a chance to haul in some receptions: This over-the-shoulder catch, then a 38-yarder along the sideline.
The Seahawks return to action this Sunday in Cleveland, where they’ll take on the Browns in a 10 a.m. game that will air on 710 ESPN Seattle and KIRO Radio 97.3 FM. Coverage will begin at 7 a.m. with the pregame show.
For more video breakdowns from this Seahawks season, click any of the links below.
• Wyman: 4 plays the Hawks won by inches to defeat the Rams
• Heaps: What Hawks did vs Cards that could lead to more success
• Wyman: Linebacker K.J. Wright is ‘having his best year’
• Heaps: Why Will Dissly has emerged as valuable offensive weapon
• Wyman: Russell Wilson’s historic game and perfect pass to Metcalf
• Heaps: How Russell Wilson read Steelers’ defense so well in 28-26 win
• Heaps: How Tyler Lockett got so open for go-ahead TD
• Wyman: Hawks already trying new things with Jadeveon Clowney