Seahawks Football 101: Proof that the defense’s new success is sustainable
It’s no secret that the Seahawks’ defense has been a concern this year, but it’s also becoming apparent that the team is figuring things out on that side of the ball.
Seattle has played strong defense in six straight quarters going into next Monday’s game vs. the Eagles, starting with a second half in their Week 10 loss to the Rams where the only points they allowed came on a touchdown on Los Angeles’ first drive after halftime. It was even better last week as the Seahawks avenged a 37-34 loss on Oct. 25 to Arizona by beating the Cardinals 28-21, setting a season-best in points allowed in a game in the process.
Now the question is whether the Seahawks will be to repeat or even build on their defensive performances in recent weeks.
Dave Wyman thinks so, and he’s backing it up.
In a special bonus Football 101 video afforded to us by the Seahawks’ current long break between games, 710 ESPN Seattle’s resident linebacker uses his handy dandy Telestrator-style app to break down some plays that show why the last two games were the first steps towards a consistently effective defense for the Hawks. He also starts off by sharing some observations from a very defense-heavy Monday Night Football contest from a couple weeks back, a 19-13 Vikings win over the Bears, connecting what he saw in that game to what the Seahawks are doing now.
You can hear Dave on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Wyman and Bob from 2-7 p.m. Monday through Friday as well as The Huddle from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday , and you can catch him doing color commentary during every Hawks game on the Seahawks Radio Network alongside play-by-play man Steve Raible. And of course you can always find the former NFL linebacker’s Football 101 videos here on 710Sports.com or on the 710 ESPN Seattle YouTube page each week during the season.
For more Football 101 videos, click any of the links below.
Seahawks Football 101
• Week 1: Adams, Dunbar solve a play that has been Seattle’s problem
• Week 2: How Bobby Wagner helped seal a win on the final play vs. the Patriots
• Week 3: Team effort results in a safety against the Cowboys
• Week 4: How K.J. Wright and the defense solved Seattle’s big-play issues
• Week 5: How the defense came up clutch against the Vikings
• Week 7: Rookie LB Jordyn Brooks’ promising plays in Arizona
• Week 8: Why Bobby Wagner is the NFL’s best blitzing LB
• Week 9: What Carlos Dunlap adds that the defense needs
• Week 11: How K.J. Wright outplayed Kyler Murray