Seahawks Football 101: What Carlos Dunlap adds that the defense needs
There’s been enough talk this week about how brutal the Seahawks’ defense was Sunday in Buffalo and in general has been all season. And believe it or not, not all is negative on that side of the ball.
The best example: Carlos Dunlap, the two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher the Seahawks recently picked up in a trade with Cincinnati.
Dunlap made his Seahawks debut against the Bills, and while the overall numbers for the defense weren’t good, his individual stat line indicates that his addition is going to be worthwhile. He wasted little time in picking up his first sack in a Seattle uniform, and he added five total tackles (three solo), three tackles for loss and three QB hits.
This week on Football 101, the all-time 710 ESPN Seattle sacks leader Dave Wyman (5.5 in his NFL career) breaks down a pair of plays by Dunlap that stood out from Sunday.
First up, Wyman looks at Dunlap’s “power rush” on the first Bills play of the third quarter which resulted in a sack of Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen (watch below).
.@Carlos_Dunlap comes in with the sack on Josh Allen! 💪
— Seattle Seahawks (@Seahawks) November 8, 2020
It’s not all about the pass rush with Dunlap, however. In the second play, Wyman shows how he took a chance to tackle Bills running back Zack Moss for a loss of 6 early in the fourth quarter.
Wyman, a former Seahawks and Denver Broncos linebacker who also serves as color commentator on Seahawks Radio Network broadcasts, also shares some of his perspective on Seattle’s defensive woes in the video.
Watch the full video embedded at the top of this post. For more Football 101 videos, click any of the links below.
Seahawks Football 101
• Week 1: How Bobby Wagner helped seal a win on the final play vs. the Patriots
• Week 2: Adams, Dunbar solve a play that has been Seattle’s problem
• Week 3: Team effort results in a safety against the Cowboys
• Week 4: How K.J. Wright and the defense solved Seattle’s big-play issues
• Week 5: How the defense came up clutch against the Vikings
• Week 7: Rookie LB Jordyn Brooks’ promising plays in Arizona
• Week 8: Why Bobby Wagner is the NFL’s best blitzing LB