Trevone Boykin’s arrest earlier this week on misdemeanor charges of marijuana possession and public intoxication put into question his future as the Seahawks’ backup quarterback. Based on coach Pete Carroll’s response to a question from John Clayton, it doesn’t sound like the incident will cost Boykin his job.
In an interview that aired Friday, Clayton asked Carroll about Boykin’s situation and whether the Seahawks will bring in a veteran quarterback to compete for the backup job.
“We’ll see. We’ll see what happens here. We have some information to get through,” Carroll said. “There’s plenty of time to figure this out. Early indications are that everything will give him an opportunity to be back with us. We’ll see what happens, though. And then we’re always looking. We’re always looking for the right guy, and we’ll see what happens.”
It’s by no means a definitive statement on Boykin’s status, and the Seahawks’ stance on the matter could change if/when more information comes to light, but it certainly leaves the impression that Seattle isn’t planning on cutting him as a result of the incident. At the very least, it doesn’t sound like the Seahawks are in any hurry to make a decision.
As for their backup quarterback situation, the team will likely bring in a veteran to compete for the job even though Carroll’s comments suggested that’s up in the air. General manager John Schneider said they will, and it’s something the Seahawks probably would have done even if Boykin hadn’t gotten into trouble.
Clayton listed a few possibilities in a recent column. He’s written that Colin Kaepernick isn’t a realistic option because he views himself as a starter and therefore his demands will price him out of Seattle’s budget. One backup quarterback is no longer available after Chase Daniel signed with New Orleans. Brock Huard has made the case for Seattle to sign Robert Griffin III.