Dallas uses No. 50 pick, which means Earl Thomas stays with Seahawks
The Dallas Cowboys used their second-round pick – No. 50 overall – to choose an offensive tackle: Connor Williams of Texas.
That’s great news for anyone in Seattle hoping that safety Earl Thomas was staying put.
Why? Because that was the pick several Dallas reporters thought the Cowboys would be willing to trade to Seattle in exchange for safety Earl Thomas.
The Cowboys were an obvious candidate because of something Thomas said himself. After the Seahawks won in Dallas on Christmas Eve, he walked past Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and said, “If y’all get the chance, come get me.”
We may never know how much of a chance there was, but the Cowboys did not – in fact – come get Thomas.
The Cowboys used their first two picks not on a receiver to replace Dez Bryant nor on a tight end to replace Jason Whitten, who’s expected to retire to host Monday Night Football. Dallas chose a linebacker in the first round, Leighton Vander Esch of Boise State, and then chose a tackle from Texas, and the Seahawks are likely to keep Thomas, who has one year remaining on his contract.
It’s not that surprising. Under coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider, the Seahawks have tended to value their veterans. Especially on defense. A year ago, there was plenty of speculation that Seattle might trade cornerback Richard Sherman, but no other team was willing to meet Seattle’s asking price of a first-round pick and a third-rounder.
Thomas has played eight seasons in Seattle. He has one year remaining on his contract, and made it clear after the season he is hoping for an extension. However, Schneider said last week that back in February, Thomas’ agent said there was no plan to holdout if he didn’t get a new deal.