Video: Will Julio get back to All-Star level of play for the Mariners?
Jun 23, 2023, 1:15 PM | Updated: Jun 24, 2023, 11:17 am
Now that Seattle Mariners star OF Julio Rodríguez has announced he’ll participate in the MLB Home Run Derby, can he get back to his true All-Star level of play outside of that All-Star weekend?
Rodriguez, who finished second in the Home Run Derby last year when he made the All-Star Game as a rookie, is back in the competition this year, which is at T-Mobile Park in Seattle.
But unlike this point last year, Rodriguez isn’t entering the summer on a hot streak as he’s slashing .237/.301/.411 with 12 home runs in 72 games played.
Former Mariners pitcher and current radio and TV analyst Ryan Rowland-Smith guest hosted Seattle Sports’ Bump and Stacy on Friday Stacy Rost and one of their conversations centered around the young outfielder’s season, what Rodriguez has done so far, what’s been promising and what Rowland-Smith thinks will happen in the second half of the season.
Watch a snippet of their conversation in the video player at the top of this story, or go listen to the full conversation from Friday’s show at this link.
More Seattle Mariners coverage from Seattle Sports
• Rost: Questions we do and don’t have answers for with the Mariners
• Jerry Dipoto talks Mariners’ ‘frustration’ and ‘level of focus’
• Mariners Notebook: J.P. update; Servais on Julio’s approach
• ESPN’s Passan: It’s ‘confusing’ why the Mariners aren’t better
• Morosi: ‘Need for need’ trade idea to make Mariners more ‘well-rounded’
• Drayer: Mariners seeing results with new approach — will they turn the corner?
• Video Interview: Seattle Mariners’ Jarred Kelenic talks his breakout
• The Mariners’ best deadline option may be ‘buy-and-sell’ trade