Heaps: Why Seahawks’ Tyler Lockett is so valuable when Wilson scrambles
Oct 16, 2019, 3:35 PM
Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett has established himself as the top option in Seattle’s passing game over the past two seasons, to the point that his connection with Russell Wilson is drawing comparisons to the one Wilson had with now-retired wideout Doug Baldwin.
Three concerns about the Seahawks despite their 5-1 start
That was something that 710 ESPN Seattle host and former NFL quarterback Jake Heaps couldn’t help but take notice of in the Seahawks’ 32-28 win over the Browns in Week 6.
“One of the things that stood out to me in this (win over the Browns) was Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett and their relationship together, and not just being effective with big plays within structure but also out of structure, as well,” Heaps said. “This is something that Russell and Doug Baldwin had for years and years, and you’re really seeing this take off with Russell and Tyler this year in particular. That makes it so hard on defenses in terms of how to handle Russell Wilson in the pocket and Tyler Lockett in coverage.”
In Heaps’ latest Seahawks video breakdown, he looked at three completions from Wilson to Lockett in Cleveland that were examples of Lockett knowing where to go and Wilson finding him when a play was covered well by the Browns’ defense. The three plays are:
• Wilson’s 20-yard pass to Lockett early in the second quarter (watch at the 2:18 mark in this video).
• A 22-yard pass from Wilson to Lockett inside the final minute of the first half.
• A 15-yard pass to Lockett that put Seattle on the 1-yard line (and was initially called a touchdown), setting up Chris Carson’s fourth-quarter TD run.
The 5-1 Seahawks continue play this Sunday at home against the Baltimore Ravens. Coverage begins on 710 ESPN Seattle and KIRO Radio 97.3 FM with the pregame show at 10 a.m., with kickoff set for 1:25 p.m.
For more video breakdowns from the Seahawks season, click any of the links below.
• Wyman: Don’t point the finger on Hawks giving up 2 straight big plays
• Wyman: Seahawks can get run game going with this technique
• Heaps: Why DK Metcalf and Will Dissly are feasting in Seattle’s offense
• Wyman: 4 plays the Hawks won by inches to defeat the Rams
• Heaps: What Hawks did vs Cards that could lead to more success
• Wyman: Linebacker K.J. Wright is ‘having his best year’
• Heaps: Why Will Dissly has emerged as valuable offensive weapon
• Wyman: Russell Wilson’s historic game and perfect pass to Metcalf
• Heaps: How Russell Wilson read Steelers’ defense so well in 28-26 win
• Heaps: How Tyler Lockett got so open for go-ahead TD
• Wyman: Hawks already trying new things with Jadeveon Clowney
Follow 710 ESPN Seattle’s Jake Heaps on Twitter.