Saunders, numbers and The Safe
By Gary Hill
You can’t blame Joe Saunders if he would rather stay home this weekend instead of jetting off to Toronto.
Why would Saunders ever want to leave Safeco Field? He has only given up two earned runs in 22 1/3 innings pitched there this season while allowing 19 earned in just 13 2/3 on the road. He also happens to boast the best ERA for any pitcher who has started at least 10 games in the history of The Safe (1.75). He is a perfect 8-0.
Here are some other random fun facts about pitching at Safeco Field:
• Hisashi Iwakuma has a 2.09 ERA in 13 career starts, which is fifth-best for pitchers who have started at least 10 times. Saunders, Bartolo Colon (1.91, second), Dan Haren (2.00, third), CC Sabathia (2.09, fourth).
• Matt Perisho has the worst ERA in Safeco history – 162.00. He started on July 21, 2000 against the M’s and only retired one hitter while yielding six earned runs. Rickey Henderson, Carlos Guillen, Edgar Martinez and John Olerud all singled to start the game.
• Felix Hernandez has thrown the most innings in Safeco history – 845.2. Jaime Moyer (808) and Joel Pineiro (526) are behind him.
• J.J. Putz has pitched the most games (173) and saved the most as well (64).
• Felix will pass Moyer in games pitched the next time he takes the mound at home (122 now).
• Moyer has the most wins at Safeco (55). Felix is three behind.
• B.J. Ryan has the Safeco record for most games pitched without giving up a run (12).
• Juan Rincon is 0-2 at Safeco Field despite only yielding two earned runs in 18 innings.
• Saunders has the most wins without a loss and Roy Corcoran has the second most (five).
• The pitcher who has coughed up the most homers without ever appearing as a Mariner is Barry Zito with 11.
• C.J. Wilson has pitched in the most games at Safeco without ever playing for the Mariners.
• Lefties for the M’s maintain a 3.86 ERA, compared to 3.78 for righties.
• The Mariners have started 1,115 games at Safeco winning 600 of them with a 3.81 ERA.
• The Mariners started 1,755 games at the Kingdome, winning 852 of them with a 3.81 ERA.