Game 16: Thunderbirds snap their five game losing streak with a victory in Lethbridge
(6-10) Seattle Thunderbirds 3, (3-16-0-1) Lethbridge Hurricanes 2
LETHBRIDGE- It wasn’t pretty but the Thunderbirds end their five game losing steak with a 3-2 win against the Hurricanes.
Two teams that have really been struggling coming into tonights game spent the first period feeling each other out and looking a bit tentative in the process. The Hurricanes got both power play chances and the Thunderbirds penalty kill looked solid, killing them both off. There was no scoring in the period. Shots were 11-10 in favor of the Hurricanes.
Calvin Pickard (6-9) got the start in net for the 15th time in the Birds first 16 games.
The Hurricanes get the first goal of the game at 4:18 of the second period as the Birds turned the puck over in their own zone and Landon Oslanski scored his fourth goal of the season.
Just 30 seconds later on a delayed penalty Marcel Noebels (7) got the Birds even at 1-1. Assisting was Justin Hickman.
A sloppy period for both teams as they exchanged turnovers and off setting penalties. If you didn’t know that both teams were at the bottom of their respective conferences coming into the game you certainly would after the second period.
The game was tied 1-1 after 40 minutes. Shots were 25-21 Lethbridge.
Mitch Elliot (2) put the Birds up 2-1 at 12:17 of the third period when he buried the puck off a favorable bounce off the wall. Brad Deagle and Branden Troock got the assists.
Brendan Rouse (2) gave Seattle a 3-1 lead at 18:02. The assist went to Noebels.
It was a very big goal because just 10 seconds later the Hurricanes scored (Adam Henry…1) to make it a 3-2 game. They then pulled Damien Ketlo (0-5) for the extra attacker but could not get the tying goal.
The Birds win 3-2 and their losing streak ends at five games.
– The five game losing streak is now history.
– Neither team played a very good hockey game but the bounces finally go the Birds way and it leads to a big go ahead goal by Elliot.
– Rouse has played well during the entire road trip and he nets the game winning goal tonight.
– Pickard rebounds after a rough game in Medicine Hat to make 33 saves on 35 shots including some brilliant ones in the third period.
– The penalty kill is sharp (3 for 3)
– The Birds are undefeated in one goal games this season.
– The Birds may have won but it wasn’t a particularly well played game.
– The power play looked bad in going 0 for 4.
– Sloppy play leads to some good scoring chances for the Hurricanes.
– F Mitch Guiel and D Shea Theodore were healthy scratches.
– Seattle improves to 1-3 on the road trip and 4-5 on the road overall.
MyNorthwest.com three stars:
First star: Calvin Pickard (33/35 saves)
Second star: Marcel Noebels (goal and assist)
Third star: Landon Oslanski (goal)
The Thunderbirds play on Friday night in Calgary against the Hitmen. Game time is 6 pm and the action can be heard live at MyNothwest.com.
Game summary is at the WHL website.