Notebook: Mariners add UT Andrew Romine, plus free agents and important dates
Nov 2, 2017, 1:16 PM | Updated: 1:56 pm
The not-so-offseason is officially underway. To get you up to date on your 40-man scorecard, this is what we have got on Day 1 from the Mariners.
The following players are now free agents.
• Yonder Alonso
• Jarrod Dyson
• Gordon Beckham
• Carlos Ruiz
• Danny Valencia
Joining this group are Hisashi Iwkauma and Yovani Gallardo, whose club options were declined. Iwakuma receives a $1 million buyout and Gallardo picks up a $2 million buyout.
Dipoto on lessons learned from trading away Chris Taylor
Drew Smyly and David Phelps have been reinstated from the 60-day DL and added back to the 40-man roster.
Also added to the 40-man roster is Andrew Romine, who the Mariners have claimed off waivers from Detroit.
Romine, 31, has spent parts of eight Major League seasons with the Angels and Tigers, accumulating a .238/294/.307 line as a switch-hitting utility infielder. On the final day of the 2017 season, he became the fifth player in Major League history to play all nine positions in a game.
With the moves, the Mariners 40-man roster is at 35.
Key offseason dates
• Teams have until 2 p.m. to extend qualifying offers.
• At 2 p.m. free agents can sign with any team.
• Eligible minor league players become free agents.
• GM meetings.
• Deadline for players to accept or reject qualifying offers.
• Deadline to finalize the 40-man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft.
• Non-tender deadline.
• Baseball Winter Meetings in Orlando, Fla.
• Rule 5 Draft.
• Seattle’s arbitration-eligible players are James Paxton, David Phelps, Shae Simmons, Drew Smyly, Erasmo Ramirez and Mike Zunino. MLBTradeRumors.com, which has been very accurate in arbitration projections, has Smyly down to earn $6.85 million, a figure the Mariners are very unlikely to pay. We could see Smyly non-tendered and signed to a new deal, however.
• I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Iwakuma brought back on a minor league contract. Kuma has remained in Seattle as he rehabs from shoulder surgery and has expressed a desire to continue pitching.