Groz’s Week 12 Seahawks Memory: Bo bulldozes The Boz
In 1987, the Seattle Seahawks and Los Angeles Raiders were two teams headed in different directions when they met in a Week 12 showdown in the Kingdome on Monday Night Football.
The 1987 season was a strange one with a players strike, which meant replacement players playing in from Week 4 through Week 6, but all the regular players were back for this one.
The spotlight was on a Raiders rookie running back playing in his third game. This was the night Bo Jackson hit phenom status and was the beginning of the end for Seahawks linebacker Brian Bosworth. A lot of the hype surrounded Jackson and Bosworth, who the Seahawks had drafted that year in the supplemental draft, but the night belonged to Jackson.
Bo had an amazing 91-yard touchdown run before he bowled over Bosworth for a third quarter touchdown.
Bo vs. The Boz.
— Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) November 30, 2018
For the game, Bo carried 18 times for 221 yards and two touchdowns while also catching a TD pass. The Seahawks never really had chance and were blown out 37-14.
What’s kind of bizarre about the whole game is the Raiders were 3-7, riding a seven-game losing streak on their way to a 10-loss season, and the Seahawks were 7-3 on their way to the NFL playoffs. But the performance by Jackson propelled him to superstardom.
It wasn’t Jackson’s only memorable night in the Kingdome. He had another moment about two years later in June 1989 for the Kansas City Royals with an amazing throw from the warning track in left field to nail speedy Mariners second baseman Harold Reynolds at the plate.
More Seahawks memories from Groz
• Thomas Rawls picks up where Beast Mode left off in Week 11, 2015
• Goal-line retribution in Week 10 of 2016 against New England
• The franchise changed direction in Week 9 of Pete Carroll’s third year
• Holmgren’s blowout Green Bay return in Week 8, 1999
• Slaying the 1986 Super Bowl champion Giants in Week 7
• Unlikely hero gets 2005 Super Bowl run going in Week 5, 2005
• Super Bowl championship team shows it’s for real in Week 4, 2013
• Curt Warner establishes ‘Ground Chuck’ in Week 3, 1983