Mariners notebook: Joaquin Benoit returns to the field
NEW YORK – Just a quick post for now but a little bit later Sunday look for a piece on Mel Stottlemyre Jr. and the impact that growing up the son of a Yankee had on his life both on and off the field. This has been a special trip for the Mariners pitching coach.
For now, the Mariners go for the sweep in New York.
• Here’s a few quick notes on the lineup: Nori Aoki has reached base in 10 straight games…Kyle Seager is back in the lineup after his day off…Steve Clevenger gets the start behind the plate after Chris Iannetta caught the day game after the night game…Seth Smith at DH is moving somewhat better since injuring his groin late in spring training but Scott Servais is still not comfortable leaning on him too much in the outfield and will use the DH spot to give him a semi-break.
• Big pitching matchup as Hisashi Iwakuma and Masahiro Tanaka face each other for the first time. It is the first time that two former teammates in Japan have faced each other in an MLB game. This will be Iwakuma’s 100th start in the big leagues
• Joaquin Benoit returned to the field Saturday after missing time with a shoulder soreness. Servais liked what he saw in his return. “I thought he looked good,” he said. “I thought he looked free and easy. I didn’t think there was any restrictions. He was getting after it.” While Benoit looked good, Servais will be cautious with his usage for the time being. I wouldn’t anticipate seeing any back-to-back-to-back outings and will be interested to see if he goes back-to-back in the near future.
• I talked to Ketel Marte in the clubhouse who said he was a little bit surprised that Manny Acta sent him when he scored from first on the single by Robinson Cano in Saturday’s game. “I’m still tired!” he said while reclining on the sofa in the visitors clubhouse Sunday morning.
• The Mariners have won three straight since their five-game losing streak, and interestingly and encouragingly enough, all three games have been comeback victories.
• Upcoming pitching probables in Cleveland: Tuesday, Wade Miley vs. Carlos Carrasco; Wednesday, Taijuan Walker vs. Danny Salazar; Thursday, Nathan Karns vs Cody Anderson.