Share this story...
Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar
Latest News

Seahawks CB Dunbar won’t be charged in alleged Florida armed robbery

Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar will not be charged in an alleged Florida armed robbery. (Getty)

The Seahawks may indeed have cornerback Quinton Dunbar for at least part of the upcoming 2020 season after all, as it’s been reported that he will not be facing charges for his alleged role in a Florida armed robbery earlier this offseason.

Wassell’s Thoughts: Seahawks have increased their window for success

Pat Leonard, who has been reporting on the case for months for the New York Daily News, reported Friday morning that Broward State Attorney Mike Satz is not charging Dunbar due to insufficient evidence, but his alleged partner/conspirator in the alleged incident, New York Giant cornerback Deandre Baker, has been charged with four counts of robbery with a handgun.

The news that he won’t be charged is good for Dunbar, 28, as well as the Seahawks, who traded for the well-regarded cornerback earlier this offseason. Seattle sent a fifth-round pick to Washington for Dunbar, who is on the last year of his current contract and was seeking a new deal that Washington was apparently unwilling to give him.

When the Seahawks acquired him, it was thought he would assume the role of the Seahawks’ No. 2 cornerback opposite Pro Bowler Shaquill Griffin, but the alleged robbery put that future in doubt. He is currently on the NFL’s Commissioner’s Exempt List.

What has happened

In mid-May, it was announced by Miramar (Fla.) Police that Dunbar and Baker had warrants out for their arrests due to alleged involvement in an armed robbery. According to TMZ Sports, the duo and a third man stole money, watches and valuables at a cookout. This happened a few days after the two NFL players allegedly lost roughly $70,000 in high stakes gambling at a Miami party. There were conflicting reports about whether Dunbar had a gun or not.

After word came out about the warrant, Michael Grieco, Dunbar’s lawyer at the time, told reporters that Dunbar was innocent and that he had sworn statements from alleged victims and witnesses that his client had nothing to do with the alleged crime. Dunbar turned himself into police and was released on $100,000 bond.

Later, the New York Daily News reported that the witnesses and victims were paid to change their stories at Grieco’s office.

“All four victims have given sworn statements that they were paid at the office that day to recant their sworn initial statements against Dunbar by signing affidavits. Combined, the four men say they were paid a total of $55,000,” the story reported.

Grieco and another lawyer removed themselves from the case, and Grieco is being investigated by the Florida Bar Association.

What’s next?

Dunbar, as mentioned, is on the NFL’s Commissioner’s Exempt List, which means he is not allowed to play or practice, but he can still be around the team in a limited capacity if both he and the Seahawks agree to it. He is still getting paid his usual salary. The NFL will still be investigating the incident and what role, if any, Dunbar played in it, and determining if any punishment is needed.

But even with Dunbar out of the woods in terms of a legal punishment, it is still possible that Dunbar is punished by the league for violating its personal conduct policy. Seahawks defensive tackle Jarran Reed was suspended six games during the 2019 season for an alleged 2017 domestic violence incident that Bellevue Police ultimately dropped charges for due to insufficient evidence.

Dunbar was already appealing his placement on the Commissioner’s Exempt List and his attorney, Andrew Riers, told Seattle Times reporter Bob Condotta that he “hopes to hear soon if he will be allowed by league to begin taking part in training camp with Seahawks.”

Condotta also reported that an NFL Spokesperson said the league has been monitoring all developments and the league is still reviewing the matter, meaning there’s no news or update on if Dunbar can start attending camp for the Seahawks.

If Dunbar is allowed to play this year, either at the beginning of the year or after some sort of suspension to start the season, it’s possible that he starts over Tre Flowers at outside corner and joins Griffin and safeties Jamal Adams and Quandre Diggs in the Seahawks’ secondary.

Moore: If it’s between Matthews and Griffen, who should Seahawks get?