Share this story...
Bobby Wagner, Seahawks
Latest News

Huard: Bobby Wagner’s compromise at Seahawks’ OTAs ‘best news’ right now

Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner holds the franchise's single-season tackles record. (Getty)

Is it bad news that Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner will not take part in workouts at OTAs?

Clayton’s observations from Seahawks’ first open OTA

Maybe for some, but for 710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock Huard, it’s the best news to come in the middle of a tough stretch of contract talks.

“I think this is the best of news you could have in this situation,” Huard said during Wednesday’s Brock and Salk show. “He wants a deal bigger than C.J. Mosley’s. He’s acting as his own agent; I think that’s going to be challenging and troubling. Once a deal gets done it’ll be great news — it’ll be terrific news. Until then, this is the best possible news you could have.”

Wagner, 28, is entering the final season of a four-year, $43 million extension originally signed in August 2015. After Tuesday’s open session of OTAs, Wagner – who is representing himself in negotiations for a new deal with Seattle – spoke with media and acknowledged he’ll be looking for a contract similar to that of Jets inside linebacker C.J. Mosley.

Said his contact was the reason he was avoiding work

“It’s a business, it’s a very tough thing to go through,” Wagner said of his decision to forgo team workouts. “You don’t know how to necessarily handle it. You just take the situations we had last year: you had a guy that held out and came back and got hurt, (then) you had a guy that came and participated and got hurt. It’s a tricky situation. And this is a business; you get hurt and they don’t pay you. You’ve got to be mindful of that. Ya’ll know I’m a professional. I’m going to be in shape, I work out every single day. So you don’t have to worry about me being in shape. And mind’s going to always be sharp.”

While Wagner didn’t take part in team drills, he was present and said he plans to remain involved in the development of younger players.

“As of right now my contract ends at this year, so that’s where it stands. I’m honoring the contract, I’m here. I’m participating, I’m helping the young guys to be the best that they can be. So I’m here. And that’s what I want to do, this is my decision. As of right now, there is no other years left for me here. So (my conversation last month of NFL Network’s with Omar Ruiz) was just a very honest opinion: that if I don’t get a deal done, that’s it. But I believe that something can happen.”

Huard’s co-host, Mike Salk, said he believes Wagner is handling the situation well.

“I think he’s handled it in a really classy way,” Salk said. “After watching these last couple of contract negotiations and disputes play their way out between Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor, and Earl Thomas, and Frank Clark, I like the way Bobby’s playing this.”

Seahawks could really use DT Gerald McCoy, but can they get him?