Share this story...
seahawks, wilson
Latest News

Did Seahawks violate concussion protocol vs Cardinals?

Seahawks' QB Russell Wilson threw for two touchdowns in Seattle's 22-16 win. (AP)

Conflicting reports surfaced Sunday regarding the NFL’s review of a possible concussion protocol violation by the Seahawks in their Thursday night win over the Cardinals. No official announcement has been made by the league.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Seattle violated the policy and will face a fine, while two additional reports from Ian Rapoport and Jason La Canfora asserted the review had not yet been completed.

The NFL began conducting its review following the Seahawks’ Thursday night win over the Cardinals. During the game, quarterback Russell Wilson was forced to leave the field to undergo concussion protocol. The review will determine whether Wilson re-entered the game before being appropriately cleared.

Wilson was hit hard by Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby while attempting a pass to Jimmy Graham in the third quarter. The hit drew a roughing the passer penalty on Dansby, whose helmet hit Wilson square in the jaw.

Following the play, referee Walt Anderson instructed Wilson to leave the field to undergo a concussion test.

Wilson was ushered into a blue medical tent while Austin Davis took over at quarterback for Seattle. Seconds after being led into the tent, though, the televised broadcast showed Wilson exiting the tent and re-entering the game.

That video could put the Seahawks in hot water. If a player is being evaluated for a concussion, league protocol mandates that he be cleared by a team doctor or an independent neurologist before returning to the field.

Wilson took over after one snap from Davis, but the Seahawks were eventually forced to punt when the drive stalled. Observers noted Wilson returned to the medical tent afterward.

Wilson told reporters after the game that he was worried about his jaw, not a head injury.

“I think I was kind of like laying down on the ground for a second just trying to get my jaw, and I think Walt thought maybe I was injured or something like that,” Wilson said. “I told him I was good, I was good, and he said, ‘Come off the field.’

“… I was fine, though, 100 percent fine. And then they finally went over through the whole concussion stuff and all that. We went through every question you could imagine, and I answered even some more for them just so they knew I was good, and then went back in there.”

If Seattle is found to be in violation of league rules, the team could face a fine of up to $150,000.