Clemons happy to have contract situation resolved
By Liz Mathews
Seahawks defensive end Chris Clemons has been a full participant in training camp after missing the offseason program and June’s mandatory minicamp prior to agreeing to a new contract.
“He has been a great competitor — a great program guy — just through the process it took us a little longer to get it done … but never did we lose hope that we would get something done,” coach Pete Carroll said Saturday. “We believed in Chris and what he brought to the program in the past and what he will bring in the future.”
Defensive end Chris Clemons signed a multi-year extension last week. (AP)
And while Carroll referred to the contract negotiations as “arduous,” he said it came down to “the thought that Clemons played great football for us.”
Clemons signed a multi-year extension with Seattle on July 24 that will reportedly pay him an average of roughly $7 million the next three seasons. Acquired in a 2010 trade with the Eagles, Clemons has started all 32 games played and logged a career-high 11 sacks in each of his two seasons with the Seahawks. With those numbers, Clemons becomes the first Seahawks defensive end since Michael Sinclair to have repeated double-digit sack seasons.
With one year remaining on his old contract, Clemons was a no-show during organized team activities and voluntary workouts, sending a clear message to the team that he was looking for a new deal. Clemons even risked significant fines and contract ramifications holding out of minicamp.
Clemons was certain a deal would get done.
“Throughout the whole offseason they continued to call me, they continued to call my agent and they kept pushing for it,” Clemons said Saturday. “Both sides kept pushing for it and we finally came up with something that works for both of us, so we were both satisfied when we finished it.
“Going into this season knowing that I do not have to worry about being a free agent, I’m pretty happy about that.”
• WR Sidney Rice took to the practice field in a blue jersey on Sunday, despite the training staff’s request that he continue to wear a red jersey that indicates he is not cleared for contact. “It was my decision not to put it on today,” Rice said. “I feel like I’m conscious of what I’m able to do out there. I’ve just got to be smart when I’m out there in the blue — most of the guys on the defense know that I’m not ready for any contact.” Although feeling much stronger, Rice acknowledged that his reps will continue to be limited into the preseason schedule and he remains unsure of how much game-time action he is likely to see.
• Three players did not participate in the practice on Sunday: LB Jameson Konz, DT Alan Branch, and TE Kellen Winslow. CB Donny Lisowski was taped and receiving ice treatment on the sidelines and WR Golden Tate tweaked his foot on a huge reception, but returned to the field shortly after.
• The quarterbacks continued to trade reps, though it was incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson who was assigned to the media podium following practice. Backup QB Josh Portis saw more action in Sunday’s practice than he had the entire offseason.
• Monday’s practice is open to the public and scheduled to begin at 10:15 a.m.