Share this story...
Latest News

Michael Robinson back with Seahawks after illness


By Brady Henderson

Fullback Michael Robinson had a feeling that the uncertainty regarding his health could jeopardize his spot on the Seahawks’ roster.

What he didn’t realize at the time, however, was the severity of the mysterious illness that hospitalized him twice, caused him to lose nearly 30 pounds and eventually led to his release at the end of training camp.

So Robinson isn’t just happy to be back with the Seahawks after re-signing with the team on Tuesday. He feels fortunate to be back to full strength following a serious health scare.

“I’m very, very fortunate to be here,” he told 710 ESPN Seattle’s “Wyman, Mike and Moore” on Tuesday after practicing with the team for the first time since August.

Michael Robinson re-signed with Seattle on Tuesday and practiced for the first time since mid-August, when he came down with a serious illness that led to his release. (AP)

It was before Seattle’s preseason game against Denver when Robinson began to feel that something wasn’t right. He thought he was about to come down with the flu, but as it turns out he was having a reaction to an anti-inflammatory medication called Indocin, which he said he was taking twice daily as prescribed.

A combination of the medication and dehydration created what doctors told Robinson was “the perfect storm.” He said his kidneys and liver nearly failed, and his weight dropped from 245 pounds to 218.

“It was pretty bad,” he said.

Robinson missed the final two weeks of the preseason and was released as Seattle trimmed its roster to 53 players, a decision he understood given his health issues and the $2.5 million he was scheduled to make in base salary. Coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider kept in contact with Robinson, checking in with him as he got results of various medical tests.

“When I got released they told me they wanted to bring me back, they just wanted me to get healthy,” he said.

Robinson kept in touch with several Seahawks – even talking daily with close friend and fellow running back Marshawn Lynch – as he spent some of his time as a guest analyst on the NFL Network. He also visited with the Titans and Giants, but the opportunity in Tennessee fell through and he said he didn’t like the situation in New York.

“So I waited,” he said, “and gladly the Seahawks came calling back again.”

It was actually a text message that Schneider sent Robinson after fullback Derrick Coleman injured his hamstring in Thursday’s win over Arizona. Schneider asked Robinson how he was doing and told him Seattle was going to bring him in for a physical. Robinson signed with Seattle on Tuesday and was on the practice field for the first time in two months.

“Just feels good to put on your cleats, tape up your ankles and stuff again and get back to work,” he said.

Robinson has regained all the weight he lost during his illness, and Carroll told reporters on Tuesday that the team expects him to play Monday night against St. Louis.

“Man, I’ve been waiting to run into somebody for a long time. I play fullback, man. I’ve been waiting to run into somebody,” Robinson said. “My 3-year-old called me today and he was so excited, he said, ‘Daddy, now you can stop wrestling with me.’ He’s just so excited that I’m able to go out there and do what I love to do.”